⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ocean CTD data following CF Conventions v1.6

From: andrew walsh <awalsh>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:15:34 +1000

Hi Roy/All,

Agree totally it would be good to get this CTD netCDF done in an interoperable
way.

Regarding having pressure vs. depth. We liked to use pressure because:

1) It is the thing that is measured, let us store just that and calculate depth
if needed.

2) Depth can later be easily be calculated on the fly
using the 'Pressure to Depth' algorithm in "UNESCO (1983) Techinical
Papers in Marine Science 44, Algorithms for Computation of fundamental
properties
of Seawater. One can use the python seawater library (see
http://packages.python.org/seawater/ )
and seawater.csiro.depth(p, lat) to get depth from pressure and
seawater.csiro.pres(depth, lat)
to get pressure from depth.

3) I noted that the ARGO project (10000's CTD like profiles) and others like
CSIRO Oceanography in Aust. make data available with just pressure.

4) It makes our processing and QC a whole lot simpler. We don't
have to worry about calculating and managing the extra 'depth' variable.

Is there any problem with having the "pressure" as a co-ordinate which isn't
really a "dimensional"
quantity like depth (z) in the 4-D sense i.e x,y,z,t ?

However I note that pressure (decibar) is allowed as a vertical axis e.g see
section
4.3. Vertical (Height or Depth) Coordinate of CF v1.6 conventions document which
says:

"A vertical coordinate will be identifiable by:

. units of pressure; or
. the presence of the positive attribute with a value of up or down (case
insensitive).
"

AND

section 4.3.1. "Dimensional Vertical Coordinate" which says:

"The units attribute for dimensional coordinates will be a string formatted as
per the udunits.dat3 file. The
acceptable units for vertical (depth or height) coordinate variables are:

. units of pressure as listed in the file udunits.dat. For vertical axes the
most commonly used of these include
include bar, millibar, decibar, atmosphere (atm), pascal (Pa), and hPa.
..."?

Regards,

Andrew