⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] netcdf4 and CF-1.6

From: Corey Bettenhausen <corey.bettenhausen>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:01:10 -0400

Mike, thanks for response. I agree with all of your points.
My suggestion to inch CF towards supporting netCDF4 files with data only in the root group was simply to get the process started. Baby steps.

To the CF group in general, how can I help to introduce groups into the CF conventions? And also extend CF to HDF5? What's the first step I need to take?

Cheers,
-Corey

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:05:14 +0000
 Mike Grant <mggr at pml.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hi Corey,
>
>Just to give you a "bite" on the netCDF4 issue, I don't see any reason
>why CF couldn't bless netcdf4 with all elements in a root group, though
>one could reasonably argue this isn't really any improvement on using
>the classic model.
>
>It would be more useful (imho) to recommend that all subgroups are valid
>too. I don't think there's anything in CF that specifically needs the
>classic model or needs to be confined to the root group. Most of the
>convention is just about variables and their attributes. The only issue
>to sort out would be what "global" attributes should be present in the
>root and which in subgroups.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike.

><hr />
>Plymouth Marine Laboratory<br />
>Registered Office: <br />
>Prospect Place<br />
>The Hoe<br />
>Plymouth PL1 3DH

>Registered Charity No. 1091222<br />
>PML is a company limited by guarantee<br />
>registered in England & Wales<br />
>company number 4178503</font></p>

><hr />

><hr />