⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 Conformance Requirements/Recommendations

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:50:38 -0700

On 3/29/2012 10:11 AM, Rich Signell wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm confused now. Are we proposing that we could have CF-compliant
> files that have no valid coordinate data, with the justification that
> somebody may figure the coordinates out later?

Hi Rich,

I'm afraid that this is the tip of an iceberg as we begin to try to
acknowledge the differing viewpoints of observations versus models and
products. It would clearly be wrong to say to an observation program
that it cannot include temperature and salinity measurements in their CF
files, because the pressure sensor failed at that point. While the
resulting observations have greatly diminished value (and maybe
ultimately prove to have no value at all), it would be wrong to throw
the measurements away. This is in the same spirit that it is preferable
to _flag_ QC evaluations of "bad data" rather than throw them away.

Should CF approach this head-on? For example, CF could stipulate that
IFF a data provider wants to include valid observations at points where
auxiliary coordinates are missing, they must also include some kind of
flag variable as well. To me this seems unnecessary. It is sufficient
simply to state that under some circumstances there may be valid values
at indices where auxiliary coordinates contain missing values -- perhaps
adding that the circumstances will be rare and application-specific.

Crystal ball: Meeting the sometimes-conflicting needs of observations
and models/products is going to lead to more of these discussions.

     - Steve