⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for defined global attribute names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:55:45 +0000

Dear All,

In September 2011 Mark Hedley proposed that the global attributes:
source
institution
should be added to the standard name table http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2011/027316.html.

The definitions of the standard names would be identical to those already given in section 2.6.2 of the conventions. The reason for wanting to do this is that, in practice, many files have been written that use "source" and "institution" as values of the standard_name attribute although this is not CF compliant.

Jonathan supported this proposal and no objections have been received.

I also support this proposal as it will bring many currently non-compliant files into compliance. The conventions already allow source and institution to be assigned to individual variables, so this is a minor extension. Section 2.6.2 should probably be modified slightly to state that the variables can also be added as string valued standard name attributes. If there are no further comments on this proposal in the next 7 days I will accept the standard names and open a trac ticket to modify 2.6.2 of the conventions.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065