⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 Conformance Requirements/Recommendations

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:28:16 -0600

On 3/26/2012 2:24 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Ros
>
> Regarding this requirement:
>
>> 9.6 Where any auxiliary coordinate variable contains a missing value, all
>> other coordinate, auxiliary coordinate and data values corresponding to that
>> element should also contain missing values.
> Appendix A notes that missing data is allowed in aux coord vars only in the
> case of discrete sampling geometries. This means the checker could regard it as
> an error also if it finds any missing data in aux coord vars, unless a valid
> featureType att is present, arising from 9.6, in addition to the above.
>
> However, I think the convention should be clear that this is not allowed except
> for discrete sampling geometries, so I'll open a defect ticket for that.
>
> Best wishes

I think this may be more complicated.

Consider a geosynch satellite with lat/lon aux coordinates. the nature
of the image is that there are many points around the outside of the
image that are not located on the earth. i dont see any good choices
other than to put missing values there for lat/lon..

To add insult to injury, it seems possible that there are valid data
values at these locations. Not sure about that however. Can anyone with
geosynch data expertise comment?

It seems at minimum this is another case where missing values in aux
coordinates are needed.