⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.6 Conformance Requirements/Recommendations

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 16:29:25 -0600

On 3/23/2012 1:59 PM, Jim Biard wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Jonathan's reply contained the section:
>
> 9.6 Where any auxiliary coordinate variable contains a missing
> value, all
> other coordinate, auxiliary coordinate and data values
> corresponding to that
> element should also contain missing values.
>

> I thought I understood that missing values were forbidden for true
> coordinate variables. Has this changed?
No, coordinate variable cant have missing values but auxiliary
coordinates can.

> This requirement seems wrong to me anyway. If the values in the data
> and auxiliary coordinate variables come from an external data source,
> it is entirely possible that you could have a measurement missing from
> one without it being missing from the other. Why force a missing
> value into the data when you might, in fact, have a valid value?

An auxiliary coordinate is important to have for valid data, not some
optional information. If it is optional, dont make it an auxiliary
coordinate.

Allowing missing values in auxiliary coordinates is very useful, eg see
the discrete sampling proposal, allowing you to use a rectangular array
to store ragged arrays.

John