⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: surface_air_pressure vs air_pressure_at_sea_level

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:17:12 -0400

Thanks Roy, Karl, and Jonathan -

I guess I was hoping for confirmation that one or both terms
(air_pressure_at_sea_level and surface_air_pressure) would be
analogous to sea_surface_temperature, which is defined as
being *near the surface*. In the case of SST, a depth coordinate
is allowed, as far as I can tell from the standard name table.

It looks like surface_temperature would be used without a
depth coordinate, based on the definition below, and I'm
not exactly sure about sea_surface_skin_temperature, which
includes a depth (10 - 20 micrometers) in its definition.

For in situ data, it's preferable to record the measured barometric
pressure and provide a sensor height, rather than correct to sea
level, because the correction algorithm is inexact and because
sensor height can be fully described using attributes - important
on a surface buoy, where the waterline may not be perfectly known.

We could use the standard name air_pressure, but some systems, like
SeaDataNet, distinguish between pressures used as Z coordinate variables
(for balloon or sonde measurements) and pressures that are 'science
observables'. This is a valid distinction, and I'd like to maintain it -
although
that may not be part of the CF approach.

> *Sea surface temperature* is usually abbreviated as "SST". It is the
> temperature of sea water near the surface (including the part under
> sea-ice, if any), and not the skin temperature, whose standard name
> is surface_temperature. For the temperature of sea water at a
> particular depth or layer, a data variable of sea_water_temperature
> with a vertical coordinate axis should be used.

> *surface_temperature* The surface called "surface" means the lower
> boundary of the atmosphere. The surface temperature is the
> temperature at the interface, not the bulk temperature of the medium
> above or below.

Thanks for your input on this -
Nan