⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for surface aerosol optical properties

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:31:05 -0800

Hi Markus,

Thanks for taking on this task :-).

Some general comments:

1) There is no mention of frequency in your definitions. This is true for some of the existing std_name definitions too. However, I note that the description of some of the existing std_names (eg atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol) contains the following, which I recommend that we include in all your definitions (CF is used for everything from UV to radio waves): "A coordinate variable of radiation_wavelength or radiation_frequency can be specified to indicate that the optical thickness applies at specific wavelengths or frequencies."

2) Do you really mean _due_to_dry_aerosol? I interpret this to mean in a humid atmosphere you are quantifying the scattering that would occur if, hypothetically, the aerosols were dry rather than their actual ambient state.

3) For the terms with _due_to_pm1(10)_dry_aerosol, is the pm1(10) selection on ambient aerosol of dry aerosol?

3) Dry aerosol is usually described for std_names as '"Dry aerosol" means aerosol without water'. Your description is possibly better, but you might consider going with the former for consistency.

4) I am not sure what you mean by surface_volume_ .

5) You mention that _hemispheric_backscattering_ is scattering into the 'rearward hemisphere relative to the incident beam'. This appears to be the same definition that is already given to both _backscattering_ (eg, backscattering_ratio, histogram_of_backscattering_ratio_over_height_above_reference_ellipsoid) and _backwards_scattering_ (eg, surface_backwards_scattering_coefficient_of_radar_wave, volume_attenuated_backwards_scattering_function_in_air_assuming_no_aerosol_or_cloud). Hence, it appears that we already have duplicate terms in the std_name table. We should probably pick a preferred option, and fix the other one with aliases.

6) We currently don't have any std_names with _due_to_aerosol. They all specify either _ambient_ or _dry_.

Best wishes,

     Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.