⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF point observation Conventions

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:26:39 +0000

Dear Nan

> Here's an excerpt from a CDL for a typical moored station's data.
> dimensions:

Can't this be stored as a timeSeriesProfile feature? From table 9.1, feature i
in this case has data of dimensions (p,o), coordinates x y z(p,o) and t(p).
This is almost the same as your dimensions:

> TIME = 129139 ;
> DEPTH = 16 ;
> LATITUDE = 1 ;
> LONGITUDE = 1 ;
> variables:
> double TIME(TIME) ;
> TIME:standard_name = "time" ;
> double DEPTH(DEPTH) ;;
> DEPTH:standard_name = "depth" ;
> double LATITUDE(LATITUDE) ;
> LATITUDE:standard_name = "latitude" ;
> double LONGITUDE(LONGITUDE) ;
> LONGITUDE:standard_name = "longitude" ;
> double TEMP(TIME, DEPTH) ;

where TIME=p and DEPTH=o, except that you have DEPTH(o) instead of DEPTH(p,o).

App H.5.1 says

"If all of the profiles at any given station have the same set of vertical
coordinates values, the vertical auxiliary coordinate variable could be
dimensioned alt(station, z)"

i.e. it's OK to omit the profile number (TIME in your case) from the
dimensions of the vertical coordinate. It should be fine to store your
collection of profiles in a single data variable as a collection of
timeSeriesProfile features, if I have understood this correctly.