⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] machine-accessible CF compliance checker?

From: stephen.pascoe at stfc.ac.uk <stephen.pascoe>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:31:45 +0000

Hi Phil,

So far my role has simply been to package and deploy Rosalyn's cfchecker code, therefore I really don't know to what extent it needs the real NetCDF.

I think an alternative checker (i.e. codebase) is a bad idea because they might give contradictory results. I would suggest several options:

 1. Work on making the cfchecker package easier to install so that users can run it on their real NetCDF. A user would have to know how to install python packages, compile UDUNITS and edit a config file.
 2. Add a "headers-only" feature to Rosalyn's code so that user's can create dummy NetCDF with ncgen to upload to one of the online checkers.
 3. As an addition to #2, add a feature to Rosalyn's code, or the CGI wrapper, to upload CDL.

I am willing to do #1, if people think it would meet user's needs, but it would have to be added to my ever-expanding TODO list :-). Rosalyn, do you have any comments on #2&3?

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK