⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] When are the units attribute mandatory?

From: Egil Støren <egil.storen>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:10:20 +0100

Dead John and Steve,

Yes, I suppose it is not a dimensional quantity. I am not sure what is
meant by this concept, I just assumed it was a variable with dimensions
(not a scalar). But I suppose it means something that can refer to a
physical property of the four-dimensional space-time.

However, when I send a file to the CF-checker, using the profile
variable as is shown in the example, I get a warning:

WARNING (3.1): units attribute should be present

I have tried both checkers, but none of them are ready for CF 1.6
checking yet. I got the above warning for CF 1.4 and CF 1.5 respectively.

Maybe the warning will disappear when checking against 1.6 is ready.

But this type of array (with some type of identifiers) will often appear
outside the context of Discrete Sampling Geometries. Surely the warning
about units for such variables is not appropriate.

For my test file, I also got this error:

ERROR (5): co-ordinate variable 'profile' not monotonic

I would think that monotonicity for such arrays is not important, but
this is maybe another discussion.

Best regards,

    Egil