⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Sea surface height

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:03:22 -0800

Hi All,

'Anomaly' is one of those words, like 'coupled', that is widely used but means totally different things to different people, depending on their field and their current interest. Hence, I would prefer we avoided it for CF. However, there are already four std_names that use it, and in all four cases 'anomaly' is defined to mean 'difference from climatology'. Hence, our options are 1) stick with 'anomaly' meaning difference from climatology, 2) change the existing std_names to get rid of 'anomaly', or 3) use 'anomaly' to refer to multiple different types of anomaly.

I really dislike (3) because it will mess up the CF vocabulary that has been developing, since it would mean different things in different std_names. The only way I can see to go with option (3) is that 'anomaly' would require definition of both the reference and altered state in the std_name, which I think would open up a can of worms.

This means we have to choose between (1) and (2). If we could go back in a time-machine, then I would recommend option (2). But since that isn't possible I think the best option is (1).

Yours truly,

       Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.