⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] MSG CPP standard names, projection and WMS service

From: <plieger>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:00:36 +0100

Dear All,

We would like to announce that we have a real-time OGC Web Map Service available for our MSG CPP
products. See http://msgcpp.knmi.nl/ for more info. You can view the data online in the web portal
which uses this Web Map Service. Note that the content will be updated in the coming weeks, it is
not yet formally released.

We converted the original data to NetCDF with the Climate and Forecast conventions, we used the mail
discussion regarding this topic as input. We would like to thank everybody for their remarks.

These are the new standard names we use (besides the already existing):
- angle_of_rotation_from_solar_azimuth_to_platform_azimuth (degree): "The angle of rotation between
the solar azimuth angle and the platform azimuth angle";
- effective_radius_of_cloud_condensed_water_particles_at_cloud_top (m): "Particle effective radius
for both liquid and ice water particles";
- thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top (status_flag liquid, ice and mixed):
"The thermodynamic phase of particles at the top of the cloud";
(I thought that these names were accepted in this list, but I can not find them in the standard name
table?)

We also use the following standard name to indicate the time of each pixel observation relative to time:
- time_offset (s): "Time of observation relative to time"

A complete overview of the file metadata is available here:
http://msgcpp.knmi.nl/data/MSGCPP_ncdump_2012-01-23_0001.html
We also have some sample files to try out at http://msgcpp.knmi.nl/mediawiki/index.php/Testdata
Please feel free to try them out. An FTP service will be available when the final version is ready.

We are struggling with finding the correct CF projection parameters for this data. The data is in
satellite view projection, with the current settings we see a slight shift in IDV at the borders of
the disc (internally we use proj4_params, which is not a CF standard):

  char projection ;
    projection:proj4_params = "+proj=geos +lon_0=0.000000 +lat_0=0 +h=35807.414063 +a=6378.169
+b=6356.5838" ;
    projection:long_name = "Projection information" ;
    projection:grid_mapping_name = "vertical_perspective" ;
    projection:latitude_of_projection_origin = 0.000000f ;
    projection:longitude_of_projection_origin = 0.000000f ;
    projection:perspective_point_height = 35807416.000000f ;
    projection:height_above_earth = 35807.414062f ;
    projection:false_easting = 0.000000f ;
    projection:false_northing = 0.000000f ;
    projection:EPSG_code = "none" ;

Has anyone a suggestion regarding this issue? When opening these files in IDV you should set the
"Data Source Type" to "Image Files (GINI)", otherwise you will have to wait a bit. When you open the
variables latitude and longitude you will see that there is a slight shift which increases near the
borders.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Maarten