⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for a region standard_name

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:28:03 -0800

Dear Jonathan and Alison,

We also have defined the following "regions" (ocean basins in this case)
for CMIP5:

global_land
southern_ocean
atlantic_ocean
pacific_ocean
arctic_ocean
indian_ocean
mediterranean_sea
black_sea
hudson_bay
baltic_sea
red_sea

Also your list of straits et al., is missing a few and in some cases
differs slightly from what we're actually using in CMIP5. Here are the
ones that differ:
canadian_archipelago
pacific_equatorial_undercurrent
florida_bahamas_strait
taiwan_luzon_straits

Here's the complete list then:

barents_opening
bering_strait
canadian_archipelago
denmark_strait
drake_passage
english_channel
pacific_equatorial_undercurrent
faroe_scotland_channel
florida_bahamas_strait
fram_strait
iceland_faroe_channel
indonesian_throughflow
mozambique_channel
taiwan_luzon_straits
windward_passage

The following regions are also referred to by CMIP5. Not sure they
should be added or not to CF. maybe they're there already:

atlantic_arctic_ocean
indian_pacific_ocean
global_ocean

these are used as "coordinate values" for the meridional overturning
stream function.

best regards,
Karl