⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for a region standard_name

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:45:11 +0000

Hi Nan,

Just to clarify I maintain two gazetteer-type vocabularies. http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection/C19 for fresh and saltwater bodies under SeaVoX governance (supersedes C16 so forget that if you see it) and http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection/C38 for valid cruise landing points (mostly ports) under SeaDataNet governance. I also serve out the ISO3166-1 list for valid (political) country names. The GCMD resource looks quite useful, but is quite limited in its coverage of sea areas and doesn't seem to match IHO. There are also resources such as the GEBCO undersea feature names maintained by SCUFN and a well-supported resource from Flanders Marine Data centre (VLIZ) that has C19 plus much more.

I think the overall conclusion from this is that there unlikely to ever be one resource that satisfies every need of every community and as you say CF shouldn't end up trying to build one. This leads to the approach of allowing attribute population from any resource providing the resource used is referenced (particularly important for resources that deliver geometries!).

However, in the case of CMIP5 I doubt if any published resource will fulfil their requirements because the spatial objects are sections defined by the project, which are unlikely to be included in any resource originating outside the project. Therefore they need their own project-specific resource and I can't see any alternative to this being governed and served by CF.

Cheers, Roy.