⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for a region standard_name

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:11:11 +0000

Dear Heinke, Frank, Karl and Jonathan,

The CMIP5 regions I was thinking of were the names of various sea channels and straits. We added a lot of physical oceanography standard names for CMIP5 and among them were ocean mass and heat transports due to a number of processes and calculated in a number of locations such as:

 barents_opening
  bering_strait
  denmark_strait
  drake_passage
  english_channel
  equatorial_undercurrent
  faroe_scotland_channel
  florida_strait
  fram_strait
  iceland_faroe_channel
  indonesian_throughflow
  mozambique_channel
  scotland_iceland_channel
  taiwan_and_luzon_straits
  windward_passage.

These were discussed as far back as 2008 and I don't think there were any objections to having them as region names but they have never been added to the list.

Karl and Jonathan (offlist) have both responded to say that they would like the region names to be maintained as a controlled vocabulary along with the standard name and area type tables. I'm happy to do this and I will update the region list to add the above names and contiguous_united_states at the same time as the next standard name table update.

I don't know about the region requirements of projects such as CORDEX - I think the region names are all intended to be geographical areas rather than areas covered by particular projects. If you need to add any further geographical regions please let me know via the mailing list.

According to the text in the current document there are no countries in the list but they can be added. Is there an active need to include all the countries in the ISO list? I assume that you are suggesting adding the country names, rather than the short codes.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065