⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Convention attribute

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:16:11 -0500

Hmmm, I GUESS it's good that someone noticed that text, and
I'm surprised how much on that page I miss every time I look at
it. I'm not sure what the advantage is in inserting the '/' vs using
a space, and I'm very curious if any existing software recognizes
that syntax.

It seems to me that the authors intended the '/' to be used
for specifications that are "tweaked" versions of major standards;
SeaDataNet is a full-blown standard, though, and IMHO should
be listed as a separate entity (blank separated) in this space.

What happens to data that is compliant with both SeaDataNet and
(e.g.) OceanSITES? It's not a problem if these are each listed separately.

And, regarding the care we need for using multiple conventions, it seems
logical that the authors of standards like SDN, OceanSITES and ACDD
would be responsible for ensuring that their specifications don't conflict
with CF. This is why it's critical for the developers to provide an open
venue
for users to discuss the details of a new standard. CF certainly provides
this kind of forum, so if we're adding a term, we can be fairly sure that
users of other standards have the opportunity to comment on possible
conflicts.

Cheers - Nan

On 12/29/11 10:14 AM, Lowry, Roy K. wrote:
> Thanks Mark,
>
> It's good to have somebody reading stuff that I should read but never have the time! That certainly works for me. Providing there are no comments to the contrary that would make ''CF-1.6/SeaDataNet' or maybe 'CF-1.6/SeaDataNet-1.0' the value to be specified in the conventions attribute for the SeaDataNet NetCDF profile that will be a part of SeaDataNet II.
>
> I feel it is essential for profile documentation to be published if data conforming to that profile are to be made publicly available. Further, if the data are to be exposed through INSPIRE then the way in which the profile is documented should follow the ISO conventions (it's one of the ISO19xxx documents, but I forget which).
>
> Cheers, Roy.

* Nan Galbraith        Information Systems Specailist *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                 (508) 289-2444 *