⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] udunits corresponding to Forel-Ule, milliequivalent

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:09:25 +0000

Hi Upendra,

The Forel-Ule is another example where parameter semantics have been off-loaded in the units of measure, such as 'milligrams per gram of dry sediment'. I have been working to eliminate this by moving the semantics into the parameter description to leave a UDUNITS-compatible UoM.

In BODC we have an equivalent to a Standard Name of 'Colour of the water body by visual estimation and conversion to a number on the Forel-Ule scale' which has units of dimensionless. This would require a new Standard Name were this approach to be used in CF.

I'm guessing you want milliequivalents for total alkalinity data. Previously in CF the standard name 'sea_water_alkalinity_expressed_as_mole_equivalent' has been used with the canonical unit 'Moles per cubic metre', which is a pragmatic solution to your problem that works in the oceanographic domain because alkalinity is the only thing we encounter in Equivalents and luckily for us the chemistry is such that 1 Mole = 1 Equivalent.

Cheers, Roy.