⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standards for probabilities

From: Vegard Bønes <vegard.bones>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:42:36 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Jonathan

First of all, regarding propositions for new standard names: It is likely that as a result of this discussion, I will propose some new standard names and name modifiers. But please don't consider any of my ideas here as formal standards propositions.

Now, regarding probabilities of values within a given range:

When we say precipitation_probability we really mean

probability that each value will be within an absolute range given in variable x.

And when we say air_temperature_confidence we really mean

probability that each value will be within a range given in variable x, relative to an air_temperature variable.

These are two very different things, and I believe that they should be treated as such.

For air temperature, I believe that using bounds is not the way to go. There must be some kind of link to the reported temperature. Therefore, I believe that a variable air_temperature confidence with an extra dimension interval_of_air_temperature is better.

Regarding precipitation, bounds seem to do better. But I am not happy about the fact that there must be an artificial upper boundary for precipitation. Also, I am not sure if bounds are intended to be used with overlapping ranges?

I am uncertain about what is best then ? to use bounds with very high upper limit, or to use my original approach ? to create a new standard_name: limit_of_precipitation_amount, and use it as a dimension to precipitation_amount confidence.

Any further thoughts?

-- Vegard