⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new TEOS-10 standard names

From: Rainer Feistel <rainer.feistel>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:34:51 +0100 (CET)

Paul,

regarding the unit of an implemented quantity, in the SIA library
we have added unit tags to any of them, such as sea_density_si
where "_si" indicates that the value is given in SI basic units,
kg/m3 in this case. If non-basic SI units or non-SI units are
used, this is explicitly indicated in the tag, such as
absolute_salinity_gkg if the unit associated with salinity is g/kg.
Such tags permit some flexibility in the units to be used and help
to avoid confusion. absolute_salinity_si would then mean kg/kg.

Regarding PSS-78, I think "_psu" may be best understood by any user.
I know that even "mpsu" (milli-psu) is used by some authors, so
practical_salinity alone may not be enough to avoid ambiguity.

Rainer