⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed addition to CF principles: outside conventions

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:38:26 -0800

Hmmm, this quickly gets to be the kind of discussion where different
readers takes away different meanings, depending on their initial
prejudices. What are the semantics of "semantics" and "conventions"
(*)? If our interpretation of these words is that "semantics" refers to
*meanings* of language, whereas "conventions" refers to the particular
*words and syntax* chosen to express those meanings, then I think we'd
want to edit John's bullets to be something like:

    CF may incorporate an outside convention into it when the following
    conditions hold:

     1. CF is already capable of expressing the underlying coordinate
        systems and relationships between variables that are proposed
        for introduction from the outside convention.
     2. The convention is already in wide use by other communities, and
        the adoption by CF significantly helps other communities adopt
        CF and thereby advances interoperabilty.
     3. The convention does not introduce significant ambiguities in the
        interpretation of a CF dataset.
     4. Since (by #1) the new conventions necessarily overlap existing
        CF conventions, /software should be developed/ to detect
        inconsistencies and provide feedback to the data producer.

What about the "software should be developed" phrase in #4? To have
teeth, it would need to say

 4. Since (by #1) the new conventions necessarily overlap existing CF
    conventions, /software must be provided/ that detects
    inconsistencies and provides feedback to the data producer before
    the outside conventions will be adopted.

     - Steve

* If "semantics" is "_*how*_ words (or computer syntax-es) are assigned
meanings", then it refers to both the words and the meaning ... which is
why it is ambiguous in this context.

** I've pasted John's original text here for comparison:

    /*Original:*
    "CF may incorporate an outside convention into it when the following
    conditions hold:/

     1. /The semantics of the convention are important to the CF community./
     2. /The convention is already in wide use by other communities, and
        the adoption by CF significantly helps other communities adopt CF./
     3. /The convention is not in conflict with existing CF standards./
     4. /In the case that the new convention overlaps existing CF