⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] 2. Re: [cf-satellite] Sharing quality flags among multiple variables (Jonathan Gregory)

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:42:37 +0000

Dear Martin

> what is the difference between a mean value and an observation count? You may add the 25th percentile to this list as well. As far as I can tell, the cell_methods attribute should be best suited for all of these and I don't see a need to work with standard_name modifiers

Though this has not been thoroughly debated,
I think the reasons why there are these two different mechanisms are that the
two functions are distinguished like this:

* cell_methods represents subgrid variation. They always imply that the
data variable formerly had a higher dimensionality or a higher resolution,
and they refer to one or more dimensions of the data on which the reduction
or collapse was done. The relationships indicated by standard_name modifiers
do not refer to particular dimensions of the data.

* The operations cell_methods records are done on the data in the variable
itself. Ancillary variables, described by standard_name modifiers, are extra
information about the data in the variable. This cannot be inferred from
the data; they are metadata, really, not a statistical reduction of data.

However, I agree there's a similarity. In particular, both of them were
motivated by a desire to avoid proliferation of standard_names because of the
need to describe very common operations that could be applied to anything,
and both of them could modify the units.