⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standards for probabilities

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:35:59 +0000

Hello Vergand,

One of my jobs is running a parameter vocabulary that currently has over 27,000 entries. Much of its bulk is due to the assignment of multiple parameter names for each step in a numeric sequence - such as radiation wavelengths or sediment grain-size expressed as percentiles.

Consider a scenario where you start with a small group of standard percentiles - say 5, 25, 50, 75, 95. You set up a parameter name for each of these in the first instance, which is easy. Then along comes another user who wants to describe data with percentiles at a resolution of 1 per cent. So another 95 parameter names need to be set up. Then along comes another user who wants a resolution of 0.1 per cent. I start drowning in names and nobody can find anything.

However, had I followed Jonathan's second solution all I would need to do as a vocabulary manager is set up one concept to describe the percentile axis, which covers every user from those who use a handful of percentiles to those whose percentile resolution requirements are beyond the bounds of my imagination.

I know Jonathan's first option was based on propogation of cell methods and not standard names. However, these still need managing and if they become excessively abundant they also become difficult to navigate.

Cheers, Roy.