⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Burned area standard names

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:34:38 +0000

Dear All,

I have received an enquiry from Kevin Tansey regarding these standard names that were proposed and discussed in July under a number of different mailing list threads: 'Request for new standard name' (http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2011/022117.html ), 'More background on the burned area' (http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2011/022137.html )and 'More background on the burned area (Jonathan Gregory)'.

Two new standard names were proposed:
burned_area; m2
'"X_area" means the horizontal area occupied by X within the grid cell.'

burned_area_fraction; 1
'"X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area occupied by X. "X_area" means the horizontal area occupied by X within the grid cell. Burned area fraction is area of the land surface occupied by burn scars.'

Three people made comments in support of adding these names to the CF Standard Name Table and no one commented against. I note Jonathan Gregory's and Martin Schultz's comments regarding adding something to the explanations to make it clear that the burned area refers to vegetation, which seems reasonable. I will add a sentence to both explanations along the lines of '"Burned area" means the area of burned vegetation."

As there has been no further discussion of these names and they match the syntax of existing sea_ice names, these names are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

I am currently reviewing the recent discussions under the TEOS-10 thread and am in the process of preparing an update to the standard name table. I plan to make the next update in 2-3 weeks time.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065