⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: FW: Connecting coordinates to Grid Mapping variables

From: David Hassell <d.c.hassell>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:05:34 +0000

Hello Mark,

Thanks for presenting this clearly. I favour the second option of an
expanded syntax for grid_mapping attribute on a data variable.

Pragmatically, I think that it is possible for two data variables in
the same file to share identical latitude and longitude coordinate
values but have different grid_mappings. This would occur, for
example, if one data variable came from a climate model which used the
spherical earth approximation and the other used a spheroidal
earth. In this case, if the coordinate reference information was
attached to the coordinates I would need to duplicate the coordinates'
data in my file, which is not desirable.

> * a view that the coordinate is defined with respect to a coordinate
> system and a data variable is defined with respect to a coordinate

Conceptually, I prefer a different interpretation of the role of
coordinate systems. I like to think of a coordinate reference system
as being defined by the arbitrary coordinates which describe the
dimensions of a space (or grid) in which a data variable exists. From
this view point, hanging space-defining attributes off the data
variable seems more natural to me.

All the best,

David

--
David Hassell
National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS)
E-mail: d.c.hassell at reading.ac.uk