⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [cf-satellite] Sharing quality flags amongmultiple variables

From: Mike Grant <mggr>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:24:23 +0000

Hi Thomas,

On 02/11/11 09:37, Thomas Lavergne wrote:
> My issue is then to associate a 'status_flag' variable with both
> sea_ice_x_displacement and sea_ice_y_displacement.
>
> Currently, my "status_flag" variable (which uses flag_values and
> flag_meanings attributes) has standard name "sea_ice_x_displacement
> status_flag" but what I really would like is something like
> "sea_ice_x_displacement,sea_ice_y_displacement status_flag" (or any
> other extension the CF list agrees on) to inform a machine (or a
> human) that my status_flag applies to both components of my ice drift
> vector.

I think the currently recommended standard approach is that you have
something like:

 float sea_ice_x_displacement(...) ;
    sea_ice_x_displacement:ancillary_variables = "sea_ice_flags" ;
 float sea_ice_y_displacement(...) ;
    sea_ice_y_displacement:ancillary_variables = "sea_ice_flags" ;
 int sea_ice_flags(...) ;
    sea_ice_flags:flag_values = "0, 1, 2, ..."
 ;
    sea_ice_flags:flag_meanings = "meaning0 meaning1 meaning2...";

The association between variables and the flags variable is purely by
the ancillary_variables attribute. There is no requirement for the
names of the variables to be similar - i.e. your flags variable for the
x displacement doesn't have to be called sea_ice_x_displacement_flags.
You can call the flags anything you like and just associate it using the
ancillary_variables attribute. Obviously, if you pick something
human-comprehensible, that's better.

Cheers,

Mike.

Plymouth Marine Laboratory

Registered Office:
Prospect Place
The Hoe
Plymouth PL1 3DH

Website: www.pml.ac.uk
Click here for PML Annual Review
Registered Charity No. 1091222
PML is a company limited by guarantee
registered in England & Wales
company number 4178503

Please think before you print

This e-mail, its content and any file attachments are confidential.

If you have received this e-mail in error please do not copy, disclose it to any third party or use the contents or attachments in any way. Please notify the sender by replying to this e-mail or e-mail forinfo at pml.ac.uk and then delete the email without making any copies or using it in any other way.

The content of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Plymouth Marine Laboratory unless specifically stated.

You are reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses. Plymouth Marine Laboratory accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.