⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] daily maximum of running 8-hour means

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:18:37 +0100

Dear Martin

Actually, I had a different interpretation of "interval" in cell_methods. I
assume it refers to the spacing of the values before the "maximum" was
calculated. Did I correctly understand that you had a (8-hour running mean)
value for every hour? In one sense this is the resolution of the data. The
8-hour running mean is a kind of filter. I would say that the interval between
the data was 1 hour also if they were instantaneous values at hourly intervals
or consecutive 1-hour means.

I think we agree there is no difficulty in recording what was done in a human-
readable non-standardised way. I think it would be "(interval: 1 hour comment:
8-hour running means at 1-hour intervals)". Do you have a need to distinguish
in an *automated* way between this and cases when the hourly values were not
8-hour running means?