⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question on WKT representation of CRS

From: Jim Biard <Jim.Biard>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 10:15:26 -0400

Hi.

I worked in a previous career phase with photogrammetry and GIS.
Precise knowledge of the coordinate system is often critical in these
domains. I appreciate the concern about the "opacity" of the WKT or
proj4 text blocks, but I don't think it is wise to develop what will
amount to yet another standard for representing coordinate systems. The
reason WKT blocks can get so long and involved is because different
coordinate systems use different algorithms, and some of these vary
widely from one another.

I suggest that we leave all of that to others that are expert in that
field. If you look at the EPSG code entries at spatialreference.org,
you will see that nearly all of them have a name. Why not adopt the
approach of providing the name in an attribute, and the WKT text in
another? Give them names like coordinate_system_name and
coordinate_system_wkt. If you are working in three dimensions and
require accurate geo-positioning, you will need to specify the vertical
datum as well. We could use attributes named vertical_datum_name and
vertical_datum_wkt when these are needed.

The goal here is to clearly define the coordinate systems in use, so
that users can perform whatever operations they need to perform with the
geographical coordinates contained in CF-compliant netCDF files. The
current CF scheme (and any that continues in the current direction)
seems to me to make it more difficult for a user to accomplish her work,
since the coordinate system parameters must be read out of the file and
converted into a standard form that coordinate system software packages
can actually use. Adopting an international standard for coordinate
system representation will make life easier for users, even if it means
that an opaque text block is included in our netCDF files.

Grace and peace,

Jim Biard