⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Question on WKT representation of CRS (Bentley, Philip)

From: David Blodgett <dblodgett>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:01:09 -0600

All,

I don't understand what is meant "opaque" or "long and mysterious" with regard to Well Known Text crs definition. Just because the parameters stored in a wkt string are complex?

The fact of the matter is that coordinate reference system information is an integral component of any geospatial data. Wkt is the common method of defining custom crs definition. Epsg is used in common applications like web mapping to allow a client to easily request one of a list of available crs.

The discussion of datums and crs with regard to low resolution data is clear at this point. If data providers supply data without crs definition, software to access it should throw warnings to inform a user that the data is incomplete. The point is that the data is incomplete, that is ok, but compliance with the standard should entail completeness of data with no need for assumption or error in a normal workflow.

Cheers,

Dave