⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Help needed with area_type and "surface type classification" datasets

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:12:20 -0700

Seth, I'm not sure it's a fair test.

By way of piling onto Seth's point, though: When MMI did a vocabulary mapping workshop a long while ago, by far the least mappable set of vocabularies was habitat, which I think it is a fair analog to area_types. The problems (sic) with 'habitat' were that it was idiosyncratically categorized (what it looks like, what lives there, what physical parameters abound, what the 'primary purpose' was, ...), ordered (flat, hierarchical, network/mesh), and derived (lots of papers with new ordering concepts based on complex high-order principles; few primary classifiers; few meetings among all those classification system developers). Naming inconsistencies was a fourth-order problem!

So I endorse Seth's example, and IF the charge is to come up with a good all-purpose system, I think this is not it, nor does it move toward it. But if you want a solution that some/many people can use for some basic purposes, this is a good interim path.

(At the risk of sounding like a broken record: A good all-purpose system might be one in which the rule is not "please use terms from our vocabulary", but "please use uniquely identified terms from a vocabulary that follows these basic principles (has unique identifiers, is publicly available, blah blah blah)." That would provide a significant amount of interoperability, and no or little maintenance/review cost for the CF community.)

 John