⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for defined global attribute names

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:03:26 +0100

There are global attribute names defined with specific meaning in 2.6.2 Description of File Contents
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.5/ch02s06.html#description-of-file-contents

Specifically the names:
  institution
  source

It is a common operation to combine data from multiple sources/institutions into some form of ensemble. The natural operation is to promote source/institution to a coordinate variable.

I have seen many CF NetCDF files which are not CF compliant as they have used source and/or institution as a standard_name for a coordinate variable.

Thus I propose that
  institution
  source
are added to the standard name list, with the same definition for each as is used in 2.6.2

This will bring a common practice which I feel is logical into compliance.