⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for stations

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:19:10 -0700

Since we're storing station information in a variable, would it be more
"normal" to use variable attributes for naming authority, description,
and (optionally) naming_authority_reference (for URLS)?

Also, I have to admit that it might be going overboard to have a standard
name or set of standard names for secondary ids; we got into this
discussion because of a need for a station name for the draft version 1.6
of the CF Conventions manual, and maybe we've gone a bit too far beyond
the original need.

For example, the OceanSITES project uses an id AND a WMO number, but
there does not seem to me to be a need for these to be variables - either
one or both can be a global attribute.

In general, standards seem to be calling for more general metadata to
be stored as a global attribute rather than (or in addition to) being a data
variable; time and location extents are one example. So this proposal
is going in the opposite direction - I wonder if we could just make a minor
change to the draft 1.6 and store station as a required attributes?

Nan