⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for stations

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:47:14 -0700

Suggest "variable of character type containing a unique identifier (may be numeric, name, or URI) of an observing station or platform"

Because the primary_id has to be unique to be a useful ID. I could tolerate duplicate names for the secondary ID, personally.

And 'observing station or other platform' implied observing station IS a platform, but some observing stations ("M1" at MBARI) are conceptual, being populated by a sequence of actual physical platforms.

Otherwise, I like. Also is smart to let the practice of specifying the authority evolve. Sooner or later we'll have a formal vocabulary, *then* CF can be modified to insist upon the formal vocabulary, if there is support for that. (You could specify the naming authority for the vocabulary used to specify the naming authority ... ;->)

John