⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Branching "history"

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 14:24:32 -0700

Hi Richard,

We are considering similar questions for the OOI Cyberinfrastructure.

I am wondering why you say the history attribute is only intended to be human readable? (I'm not an expert on netCDF, so this may be a doofus question.) I couldn't find any language that says that, and some of the conventions suggest machine-readable is just fine, and I'd prefer a machine-readable history, so long as it's still human-readable.

In the COARDS profile
  http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html
it says "Although not mandatory the attribute 'history' is recommended to record the evolution of the data contained within a netCDF file. Applications which process netCDF data can append their information to the history attribute."

In the netCDF Attribute Convention for Dataset Discovery,
   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/DataDiscoveryAttConvention.html
the history attribute is described as "Provides an audit trail for modifications to the original data."

And by example, I know that MBARI has a fairly complete history that they put in NetCDF files, for example see
  http://dods.mbari.org/opendap/data/ssdsdata/deployments/m0/200701/OS_MBARI-M0_20070130_R_TS.nc.info
and
  https://confluence.oceanobservatories.org/display/CIDev/Define+use+case+for+data+provenance
In the sample, this history is not contained in the history attribute, but in an attribute called ssds_provenance. I don't think that example is branched, but they may have some that are, and that format looks trivial to express branches to me. (And is both readable and machine-parseable, too. Kudos to Mike McCann and the MBARI team.)

If the MBARI syntax is parseable and there are not competing syntaxes, that would not be a bad proposal in my book.

Since people use all sorts of things for history, we might want the first line to specify the syntax/convention being used.

John