⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] A question regarding standard names

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:51:10 -0700

OOI will be adopting and/or developing some standard vocabularies for many facets of instruments (manufacturer, model, 'type' (ick), possibly mount, likely a few other things. We'll be sure to take a good look at your vocabularies, Roy. I particularly recall the methodology vocabulary -- that seems closest to a pure answer to Jim's original question. (The instrument 'type' in :MBARI's SSDS was much more coupled to manufacturing practices -- "CTD" for example describing the type of configuration one can buy, and not much about methodology of a particular measurement.)

We'll also have to create or use an instrument description specification like yours, Nan. Can you tell me, what is instrument_reference? And (this may be a question showing off my ignorance) do I correctly understand that (time, depth) means you are identifying the instrument for every measurement, not just every depth?

So getting back to the original question, for automated sampling methodologies, I recall seeing at least one vocabulary that was particularly well suited, in addition to Roy's for a wide range of techniques. Nan, if your spec included TEMP_sensing_methodology for each variable, it would go a long way to a good answer, seems to me..

John