⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CDM calendar date handling

From: Jim Biard <Jim.Biard>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:47:52 -0400

Hi.

According to the almighty Wikipedia ;), UTC is "a time standard based on
International Atomic Time
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Time> (TAI) with leap
seconds <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second> added at irregular
intervals to synchronize with the Earth's rotation
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_rotation>." So TAI doesn't
attempt to stay synchronized with the Earth's rotation.

Another quote from the Wikipedia article on UTC states

    UTC is a discontinuous timescale, so it is not possible to compute
    the exact time interval <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time> elapsed
    between two UTC timestamps without consulting a table that describes
    how many leap seconds occurred during that interval. Therefore, many
    scientific applications that require precise measurement of long
    (multi-year) intervals use TAI
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Time> instead.

I'm not advocating for anything, just contributing some factoids.

Grace and peace,

Jim Biard