⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CDM calendar date handling

From: Don Murray <Don.Murray>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 12:35:12 -0600

John-

On 8/19/11 10:32 AM, John Caron wrote:
> On 8/19/2011 8:02 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:

>>> Im not sure I can actually implement prefixes for calendar fields,
>>> since in general that would violate the need for integers.
>>> millisecond makes sense, but millihour doesnt.
>> Yes, I see. Could we include ms then, and also a, ka and Ma for a year,
>> 1000 years and a million years, used in paleoclimate?
>
> i will add ms.
>
> im not familiar with a, ka, and Ma. what are those?

a is an abbreviation for year (annus/anno) and recognized by udunits.
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year)

This is similar to what I was asking for with geophysical data.
Sometimes you'll see Mya (millions of years ago) and a common reference
date is 1950. I'm not suggesting that you support Mya, but
"Ma before reference_date" would be useful. Perhaps Jonathan knows how
this is currently specified for paleoclimate data.

Don
--
Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CIRES