⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CDM calendar date handling

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:12:51 -0700

Hi all,

  My understanding is that leap-seconds are inserted so that the
calendar remains (almost) perfectly synchronized with the seasons. If,
under the CF convention, leap seconds are ignored and time is recorded
as, say, "days since 2007", and two times were recorded, 0.5 and 365.5,
those times would correspond to 12 noon of Jan 1, 2007 and 12 noon of
Jan 1, 2008. If, however, the CF calendar were required to be truly
realistic, the leap second which in fact was inserted at the end of 2007
would mean the second time should be 11:59:59 of Jan 1, 2008.

I am pretty sure that the vast majority of datasets stored under the CF
convention will not take into account leap seconds and will record times
assuming they are not there. I think it is unrealistic to assume users
will adhere to a truly realistic calendar when recording their times.
In the above example, if the measurements were made at noon of each day,
then you would have to record times of 0.5 and 365.5+1./(24*60*60) =
365.500011574 (rather than 0.5 and 365.5).

I therefore think the CF convention should specify that the times
recorded in files should be interpreted according to the specified
calendar, but assuming that leap-seconds have been ignored.

cheers,
Karl