⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CDM calendar date handling

From: Lynnes, Christopher S. <christopher.s.lynnes>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:48:55 -0500

On Aug 19, 2011, at 7:54 AM, Jon Blower wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Does the calendar system usually define whether leap-seconds are taken into account or not?

Generally speaking, I don't believe so, if only because calendar systems usually go down to the day granularity. Seconds-based doordinate time standards, such as UTC and TAI do, because they have to. Julian date (NOT the day of year many associate with the name) is an exception, with its fractional dates.

> In other words, given knowledge of which calendar system is in use, could a library make the correct calculation? Or is other information needed too?

Actually, it may be more a matter of what the user/application wants as output.

Alas, I'm afraid I am not enough of an expert on coordinate time standards, as they are exceedingly complex, almost byzantine. See such items on Wikipedia as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Time, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Time and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Time, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Date, ...