⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF data model and reference implementation in Python

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:41:31 +0100

Dear all

In case anyone doesn't get trac postings automatically by email, I'd like to
point out trac ticket #68
https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/68
on a proposed CF data model. We have drafted a description of the abstract
data model that implicitly underlies the CF convention. We propose to include
such a description as part of the CF standard, to be kept up-to-date with the
CF-netCDF convention. A previous draft was discussed earlier this year on this
email list, and also at the GO-ESSP meeting.

We would really welcome comments on this proposal, preferably on the trac
ticket. The description is not a long document, only 3-4 screensful of plain
text, and the accompanying UML diagram is one page and quite straightforward!
The central questions are:

* Is it a good idea to have an explicit description of the CF data model?

* Is this description correct and sufficient?

The trac ticket also points to some Python code which implements the data
model i.e. equivalent memory structures, netCDF I/O and some basic operations.
The purpose of the code is to illustrate the model, and to provide a possible
foundation for higher-level processing and graphical operations.

Best wishes and thanks

Jonathan