⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Is there a convention defining day offsets to use for monthly average time series?

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:31:24 -0600

On 8/8/2011 3:43 PM, Jim Biard wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a time series of monthly averaged values. I have an
> integer-valued time coordinate variable and an associated time_bounds
> variable. Is it correct to use the 15th of February and the 16th of
> all the other months for my time centers, or should I use the 16th of
> every month?
>
> Also, should I do anything differently if my data are climatological
> monthly averages (say, over 30 years of data)? And, in this case,
> should the time coordinate values be day numbers from the beginning of
> the 30-year time interval, the end of the time interval, or something
> else entirely?
>
> Grace and peace,
>
> Jim Biard

At the moment, IMO the best that can be done in CF is to accurately
record the date range (using the bounds attribute). The coordinate value
should then be considered for labeling purposes only. Make a one line
description and put into the long_name attribute. Make sure you have
human readable documentation that explains whats going on in detail, and
add a global attribute that references it. Set up a 24-hour hotline to
answer questions, staffed by post-docs wearing beepers. Ok, maybe not
the last ;^)