⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF-compliant netCDF file

From: V. Balaji <V.Balaji>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 10:55:36 -0400 (EDT)

Jon Blower writes:

> datum is unknown - is this really true? Surely there is always a
> sphere with a known radius on which coordinates are based?)

It is perfectly possible to configure a GCM out of components with
inconsistent datums.

I would still opt to have an unspecified datum take the value
"unspecified" rather than "unknown". Despite Upendra Dadi's objections,
I still feel my principal objection to specifying the datum is the
implication of precision that does not exist. For instance, if I told
you my model of the Earth was a sphere of radius R, and yours was a
geoid of some kind, you might choose to apply a transformation of some
kind, which in my opinion is completely uncalled for.

--
V. Balaji                               Office:  +1-609-452-6516
Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL      Home:    +1-212-253-6662
Princeton University                    Email: v.balaji at noaa.gov