⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] COARDS - "positive" attribute

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:40:26 -0700

So I think what is confusing for me is the conflation of directionality with a non-geospatial parameter. While I understand that pressure is a very close proxy for depth in this context, it isn't really a geospatial variable. (This is a narrow perspective, obviously; in casual use, a lot of people will make the leap just fine.)

So referring to pressure as being 'positive down' seems like referring to light transmission as 'positive up' under the water -- yes, there is a relationship, it is mostly but not entirely consistent depending on the particular deployment, but it is a relationship not an equivalence. Lacking an appreciation of the interesting situation where the values have been made negative for some reason, some of us would see that and say "what does that mean in this context?"

It makes more sense to me to say 'positive increasing', as in, 'more positive values represent increasing pressure'. (Although in an example where values are simply negated, the negation would make the standard variable not pressure at all, but negative pressure. You wouldn't want people to take your 'pressure' values that are expressed in negative numbers as actual pressure, and I wouldn't expect people or computers to look for a 'positive' attribute to see whether an inversion might have been applied. Unless this practice is way more common than I'm aware.)

John

On Jul 20, 2011, at 03:13, Comiskey, Glenn wrote:

> Thanks for the reply John.
>
> The need to add an attribute stems from a requirement passed to me to add an attribute to denote what the meaning of positive or negative values represent. This is due to the fact that in addition to the pressure gauge reading, which I concede would report a greater pressure/depth as an increasing value, it also contains data variables are computed values and therefore may be represented as a negative value, i.e. "positive" would be "up" rather than "down".
>
> While in certain circumstances, as you highlight regarding pressure, increasing values infer a "positive" attribute value, I don't see what questions are likely to be raised by explicitly stating a "positive" attribute value providing it correctly stated. What kind of questions were you thinking would arise from the use of the "positive" attribute?
>
> Regards,
>
> Glenn

John Graybeal <mailto:jgraybeal at ucsd.edu>
phone: 858-534-2162