⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for emissions - part 2: species

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:56:59 -0000

Hi Jonathan,

   unless I missed anything, your comment appears to be the only one on our proposal so far. Thanks for your support.

   Concerning the re-organisation of sectors into an additional variable dimension, we don't think that this is a viable option. Firstly, current tools all assume that sectors are found in individual variables. Secondly, the number of sectors can vary by species, so you end up with different dimension sizes in different files -- not impossible, but rather ugly. I'd rather see progress in the development of a CF grammar, whereby it's not individual standard_names that are cast in XML, but rather the rules how names are created and then some sort of dictionary mapping which will describe which combinations are possible and which ones aren't...

   In short: mainly for (important) practical reasons, we'd like to stick with our original proposal as is.

Cheers,

Martin

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt

Besuchen Sie uns auf unserem neuen Webauftritt unter www.fz-juelich.de