⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF Convention - standard_names

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 18:54:49 -0000

Hi Glenn,

My reading of the conformance document (as well as the conventions
document) is that standard_name is optional (but either standard_name or
long_name is recommended).

Here's the relevant section from the conformance document:

        3 Description of the Data

*Recommendations:
*

    * All variables should use either the long_name or the standard_name
      attributes to describe their contents. Exceptions are boundary and
      climatology variables.

I agree with Nan, that it is essential that variables without standard
names be allowed.

regards,
Karl