⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] the need to store lat/lon coordinates in a CF metadata compliant netCDF file

From: V. Balaji <V.Balaji>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:14:34 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with a lot of points here. I think that grid_mappings can never
be comprehensive; I think as well that at some point it will be
prohibitive to include coordinate informtion in every file that needs
it: this is already redundant and potentially introduces two new 2D
fields alongside every variable in a bundle of (x,y) fields, even if
they happen to be on a shared grid but not in the same file.

There is also precedent for putting cell area and volume information
(which are not required by CF) in external files and referencing them.

There are emerging mechanisms for referring to external information,
which can surely be exploited here.

All that said, gridspec purposely decided not to break the existing
convention of requiring coordinate information in every file. Should
we have a specific convention proposal to state that coordinate
locations are allowed to be associated from external files?