⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] "Empty" Units attribute for dimensioned variables

From: Rich Signell <rsignell>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 19:22:37 -0000

Chris,
I took a look at
http://hfrnet.ucsd.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/HFRNet/USEGC/6km/hourly/RTV.html
I agree that "site_code" should not have units.

The CF document states: "Units are not required for dimensionless
quantities. A variable with no units attribute is assumed to be
dimensionless. However, a units attribute specifying a dimensionless
unit may optionally be included."

Indeed, if you run your file through the CF-checker, there are no
warnings or errors, only informational messages:

Checking variable: site_code
------------------
Checking variable: site_lon
Checking variable: procParams
INFO (3.1): No units attribute set. Please consider adding a units
attribute for completeness.

Thanks,
Rich