⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New CF Standard Name (antenna_temperature)

From: Cameron-smith, Philip <cameronsmith1>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 19:13:16 -0700

Hi John,

I think this was an issue worth raising. There certainly seems to be the potential for ambiguity.

I just searched the CF archive to find any approved examples of either physical_quantity_by_instrument or physical_state_of_instrument.

I had thought there were cases of the former for specific satellite instruments, but I couldn't find one. Perhaps I missed it, or it was discussed but not approved yet.

I did find one example of the latter:

temperature_of_sensor_for_oxygen_in_sea_water

If we followed this convention, then the temperature of the antenna (if it were required) would presumably be something
like:

temperature_of_antenna,

I am not an expert in antennas, but as I understand it, antenna temperature is a similar type of quantity as brightness temperature. Am I correct? If so, antenna_temperature would seem the obvious choice for CF (following brightness_temperature which is already part of CF), and it would avoid ambiguity because of the example above.

Best wishes,

    Philip

Dr Philip Cameron-Smith, pjc at llnl.gov, Lawrence Livermore National Lab.