⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] physical vs dimensional units

From: Steve Emmerson <steve>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:29:05 -0000

John,

On 04/14/2011 08:09 PM, John Caron wrote:
> Im thinking that ne wants a grammer that allows
>
> "mole <X> / mole" * "mole/ mole <X>" = 1
>
> "mole <X> / mole" * "mole/ mole <Y>"= "mole <X>/ mole <Y>"
>
> and so on.
>
> I wonder if this list could accumulate a list of such examples.

In my opinion, the semantics of such operations would be better handled
by a physical quantities package than a units package. The physical
quantities package could recognize that the physical quantities are
identical in the first example and different in the second and set the
output units accordingly. The UDUNITS package already supports such
operations in a trivial sense: the units are all the dimensionless unit
one, so the operations all result in the dimensionless unit one.

Regards,
Steve