⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] physical vs dimensional units

From: Steve Emmerson <steve>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:08:23 -0000

On 04/13/2011 02:25 PM, John Caron wrote:
> the point im trying to make is that it would be better to understand
> that "mol mol-1" (canonical udunit = 1) is not the same as "m3 m-3"
> (canonical udunit = 1).

In my opinion, the distinction between "mol/mol" and "m3/m3" is better
indicated by the name of the physical quantity being displayed rather
than by its unit attribute. In the cases under consideration, the
respective physical quantities would be "amount of substance fraction"
and "volume fraction".

See Table 12 of <http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec08.html> for more
information.

For example, the Y-axis of a plot could be labeled "Amount of Substance
Fraction of Carbon / 1e-9" to plot nanomoles of carbon per mole of whatever.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson